[lug] Problems with Toshiba 1625 -- possibly overheating with RH 7.1

John Kottal jlkottal at americanisp.net
Thu Jun 21 11:34:52 MDT 2001

Hello,

I am using a Toshiba Satellite 1625 CDT with the 1.11 BIOS upgrade
(which set temperature parameters for the CPU temperature).

This computer has run Red Hat versions 6.2 and 7.0 without problems.

With Red Hat 7.1, however, I was completely unable to install it. The
system would begin the installation and then, about 3/4 of the way
through it, would lock up. The keyboard and mouse and the on/off key
would not work. The fan ran, and the CD ran, but there was no disk
activity. I was forced to use the hard-reset button on the side of the
system to reboot. When I tried to install RH 7.1 again, each time I did,
the installation failed sooner into the process with the same symptoms.
Changing the types of installation, from laptop to custom, did not
matter.

With KRUD 7.1, I have been able to install it with the default "laptop"
configuration, but am still having the same problems. At variable
intervals, ranging from 5 to 15 minutes, the fan comes on and the system
locks up -- keyboard, mouse and off/on button are inoperable and I am
forced to use the button on the side to shut down the system.  The
various logs do not show any information as to what is happening.

This activity seems to be CPU dependent -- it will occur much quicker if
I am trying to install a new software program by compiling it. While the
computer does not feel any hotter than usual, I am wondering if this is
a problem with it overheating. I have fiddled with the BIOS controls to
set the fan and power, but to no avail.

Does anyone else have this problem, or can anyone provide advice on how
to solve it? I would prefer to run Red Hat 7.1 rather than 7.0.

John Kottal