[lug] debian image question, /dev/mouse, too

Rob Mohr robmohr at earthnet.net
Sat Jun 23 12:21:20 MDT 2001

Hello,

I had some starts and stops during install process, a couple of
spontaneous reboots.

After the initial install I kept having a problem with the x config with
respect to the mouse.  Setserial seemed to be not working correctly.  I
removed it and  installed it again.  (While doing this the dselect manager
told me to move /lib/modules/2.2.17 to .old and reinstall.  Also, it gave
me an option to stop the install config process or to continue ahead.  I
decided to go foward.  To reinstall this image should I use dselect or
apt?)

On the tail end of the configuration from the above the program asked me
specifically where is the mouse located, to be located.  I put /dev/mouse.
After the deselect concluded, I followed the aviso to do an immediated
reboot.  The setserial looks as broken as it did before.  And  I still
have a missing /dev/mouse.  May I just patch that in by a vi edit?  I
remember the config had about five questions, but I can't remember the
order or the exact specifics.  location, type mman , protocol?  repeat?
and something else.  I have a three button MouseMan Logitech.

Also, on the initial install configuration it as if I wanted a Parent
Proxy.  It mentioned that such a proxy speeded things up.  What is that?
Speed things up in what manner?

eof