[lug] Vim discovery

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Thu Jun 21 23:11:03 MDT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Chip Atkinson said:

> Greetings,
>
> I was trying to replace a pattern and got it wrong.  Normally I retype
> the whole expression.  However, I tried the up arrow key from the :
> command line.  The replacement command popped up.  Wow.  Now I just back
> up and fix the part.

My recent discoveries were the make session (mks) command and :set bs=2.
The latter stores a session state file so that the next time you want to
pick up where you left off, :source <filename> restores the session; i.e.,
loads the files in their respective windows.  bs=2 modifies the behavior
of the BS and Del keys while in Insert and Replace modes to act like some
of the other editors out there, and avoid having to issue separate
commands (or use the visual mode to block first) in order to delete text.