[lug] various ???s

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Mon Jun 25 16:09:37 MDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Paul McKelvey wrote:

> I'm new to linux and new to this list, so i hope you don't mind a few
> newbie questions i haven't been able to find answers to.

Nope, that is what the list is here for.

> First, do any of you use a cable modem in Boulder (i think the only
> option is att at home)?  If so, is it really complicated to get
> configured properly?

Don't have it so don't know.

> Is there any reason not to go with Mandrake 8.0 dist?

Not that I know of.

> nocd	 No CD-ROM Drive

Not having a CD-ROM drive could be a problem.  Most software is
distributed on this medium these days.  Without it you'll have to install
from floppies or directly from the net.  If you are planning on the
network install approach I'd suggest that you might want to do a Debian
install.  It would take about 10 floppies to boot up the base system, and
then the rest could be done via the net.

> nomod	 No Modem

That is OK I guess since you'll be making your connection to
@home.  However, since I've not installed @home I don't know what
equipment is needed - network card, and a switch?

> 4316	 Mandrake 8.0 GPL (CDROM Only)
> 3236	 Star Office 5.2 GPL CD-ROM

Hard to install without a CD-ROM, but ...

> 4085	 Sony Spressa 8x4x32x CD-RW

It looks like you are getting a reader/burner.  In that case ignore my
comments from above.  Things look more or less reasonable at first glance.
You may want to check the hardware compatibility HowTo just to be sure of
some of the components (network card, CD-RW, Video board, Sound Card).

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)