[lug] various ???s

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Jun 25 17:32:28 MDT 2001

Paul McKelvey wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I'm new to linux and new to this list, so i hope you don't mind a few
> newbie questions i haven't been able to find answers to.
> First, do any of you use a cable modem in Boulder (i think the only
> option is att at home)?  If so, is it really complicated to get configured
> properly?

As long as you get an external modem/router you should be fine.  Most of these
broadband devices simply do DHCP.  So all you need in your PC is a network card
and the rest of the setup should be easy.

> Is there any reason not to go with Mandrake 8.0 dist?  After looking
> around, this one looks best for my needs.

Mandrake is a fine Linux distro.  Their cooker is appealing since you get early
access to new features.

> I was brought up as a Macintosh man, so don't know much about PC
> hardware...  Could y'all check these specs below and see if this would
> be a good linux box or not?  any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated!!!

If you are OK with another Linux distro then you don't need to buy a PC.
Yellowdog and SuSE as well Debian and others offer a very nice Linux distro for
PowerPCs.  One of my friends is rather happy with this IMAC.

> thanks
>  - paul -
>

> ACI Custom Build Computer
> Part	 Desc.
>
> 3301,3443,2247	 AMD Athlon 900MHz
> 3359	 Asus A7V-KT133 ATA/100 Motherboard
> 4332	 ISP ATX Midtower 300 Watt Computer Case
> 2304	 256MB PC133 SDRAM Memory
> 2963	 30.7GB ATA/100 7200 RPM Hard Drive
> nocd	 No CD-ROM Drive
> 1082	 1.44MB Floppy Drive
> 3472	 Jaton nVidia TNT2 16MB AGP Video Card
> 1916	 Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Value Sound Card
> nomod	 No Modem
> 2551	 SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI Network Card
> 3664	 Altec Lansing ACS160 Powered Three piece set
> noprin	 No Printer
> SDKDSVS-190	 New KDS 19inch Monitor .27mm Dot Pitch
> 1802	 104-Key PS/2 Keyboard
> 1853	 Qtronix 3 Button Scroll Wheel Mouse
> 4316	 Mandrake 8.0 GPL (CDROM Only)
> 3236	 Star Office 5.2 GPL CD-ROM
> 4085	 Sony Spressa 8x4x32x CD-RW

As Wayde mentioned:  Go through the hardware compatibility list and check the
components.

--
Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com