[lug] various ???s

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Mon Jun 25 21:57:07 MDT 2001

6/26/2001 23:58:22, Ferdinand Schmid <fschmid at archenergy.com> wrote:

>I have been using AMD Athlons (old and new Thunderbird for over a year now with
>ASUS boards exclusively.  Never had any problems with anything - audio works
>perfectly well.  In fact anybody who got to work on any of these systems (some
>are servers) are just amazed by their power.  Some of these machines do CFD and
>raytracing!  The 266 FSB on newer boards is really nice for performance.

The A7V-KT133 is based upon a VIA chipset, which has proven to be very buggy, producing pops and crackles in high- end audio systems, among other
things. Including data loss. It's not AMD per se, but most VIA based boards come with AMD.
http://www.au-ja.de/review-kt133a-1-en.html

Most audio hardware manufacturers recommend NOT using AMD/VIA. Most recommend using Intel stuff, for a good reason.
http://www.google.com/search?q=VIA+AMD+pops+clicks+audio&sourceid=opera&num=50

ljp