[lug] various ???s

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Jun 26 13:07:18 MDT 2001

I'd be curious why I failed to ever notice any of these problems!
Looks like some people are having problems - I guess just using a sound card
(sound blaster) for casual mp3 and realplayer purposes must not trigger those
problems.

Actually for another search I replaced the AMD with Intel in search for
pops+clicks+audio and found among other links this one, which compares different
MOBO architectures for sound:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~oscwilde/PC/pcmb.htm

BUT - I'm not a multimedia freak and definitely not a gamer!  I use PCs for work
and not much more.

Ferdinand

ljp wrote:

> 6/26/2001 23:58:22, Ferdinand Schmid <fschmid at archenergy.com> wrote:
>

>>I have been using AMD Athlons (old and new Thunderbird for over a year now with
>>ASUS boards exclusively.  Never had any problems with anything - audio works
>>perfectly well.  In fact anybody who got to work on any of these systems (some
>>are servers) are just amazed by their power.  Some of these machines do CFD and
>>raytracing!  The 266 FSB on newer boards is really nice for performance.
>>

> The A7V-KT133 is based upon a VIA chipset, which has proven to be very buggy, producing pops and crackles in high- end audio systems, among other
> things. Including data loss. It's not AMD per se, but most VIA based boards come with AMD.
> http://www.au-ja.de/review-kt133a-1-en.html
>
> Most audio hardware manufacturers recommend NOT using AMD/VIA. Most recommend using Intel stuff, for a good reason.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=VIA+AMD+pops+clicks+audio&sourceid=opera&num=50
>

> ljp

Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com