[lug] various ???s

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Mon Jun 25 23:41:29 MDT 2001

6/27/2001 02:07:18, Ferdinand Schmid <fschmid at archenergy.com> wrote:

>I'd be curious why I failed to ever notice any of these problems!
>Looks like some people are having problems - I guess just using a sound card
>(sound blaster) for casual mp3 and realplayer purposes must not trigger those
>problems.
>
>Actually for another search I replaced the AMD with Intel in search for
>pops+clicks+audio and found among other links this one, which compares different
>MOBO architectures for sound:
>http://members.ozemail.com.au/~oscwilde/PC/pcmb.htm
>
>BUT - I'm not a multimedia freak and definitely not a gamer!  I use PCs for work
>and not much more.

I'm not totally against AMD/VIA, I have a few of them in use! I got an Intel/Intel mb because the bugs were present on the motherboard I was using.
and more noticable when doing several tracks. Several professional audio hardware manufacturers, like Tascam, or RME recommend NOT using
VIA/AMD.
It has to do with high data rates such as when recording/playing multichannel audio. I resigned that mb to do other tasks than multitrack audio. If you are
doing normal office type stuff it may not really effect you. VIA has updated windows drivers that deal offer a workaround.

I have heard users that use VIA/AMD very sucessfully with multi channel audio/video. Unfortunately it seems like its up to chance if you get a good board
or not.

ljp