[lug] Awkward server situation

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Tue Jun 26 13:37:36 MDT 2001

I kind of have a wierd situation here. I'll start by explaining my
current server setup. I have a single server that does all the work
for my domain (besides DNS). It performs the following funtions:
webserving, email service, database, ftp service, and also shell
services for IRC related things. What I want to do is split off the
shell services part of the machine to a different box. So
mainbox.jackmoves.com will support all the important stuff like web,
email, db, and ftp. The other shellbox.jackmoves.com will be there for
all IRC and shell related services. I plan on splitting up my user
base since most ppl that use the web/email services don't use (or know
how to) use a linux shell. The shell users will have user accounts on
the mainbox.jackmoves.com server as well as shellbox.jackmoves.com. My
main concern is, since my mail server runs on mainbox.jackmoves.com,
will users on shellbox.jackmoves.com be able to send/retrieve
@jackmoves email from the shellbox with say Pine, mutt, or elm? My
main reasoning for this setup is so all the data on the mainbox
(web/email/db) is safe from a potential hack of the shellbox since it
is exposed to IRC and the like. I'm still confusing myself trying to
figure this all out so sorry if I am making no sense. Those of you
that do understand what I'm trying to do, I'd appreciate any
suggestions or input. Thanks in advance...

Justin

-----
glow at jackmoves.com
www.jackmoves.com