[lug] booting past 1024 on RH 7.1

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Jun 26 20:13:16 MDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, David Novotny said:

> Howdy,
>          I am attempting to boot to my LINUX partition located above 1024
> cylinders.  I have RedHat 7.1 (2.4.2) and I keep getting an error stating
> that LINUX can't boot past 1024.  I just upgraded from debian 2.2 (2.2.17)
> and it allowed me to do just that (I needed the X support and 2.4 kernel
> for my new video card). Is there a boot switch to allow booting from above
> 1024?  I can't seem to find it in my LINUX manuals but it does exist (at
> least in debian 2.2).

I'm not sure about RH7.1 in regards to what version of lilo it's using,
but the newer versions I believe support large disks without having to do
anything too special - at least that's what I've read.  Although I DL'd a
more recent version, I usually put a small partition within the 1024 cyl
boundary for /boot anyway.  They also gave it a face lift with nice menu
interface.