[lug] Video recording with Linux

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Wed Jun 27 06:50:50 MDT 2001

At 22:55 6/26/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>       Pinnacle DC10Plus card, Zoran-based card -- $100
>          S-Video and composite in and out
>       Miro DC10, BT9xx-based card -- $50
>          S-Video and composite in only
>       ESS 1371 audio card: $20
>       1GHz Celeron FlipChip system
>       100MB RAM
>       No video card to speak of.  The net is a wonderful thing.
>       IBM hard drive
>
>    Software:
>       lav tools (record and playback): Part of MJPEG Tools
>       MJPEG Tools (conversion): http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/
>       avifile (divx conversion): http://divx.euro.ru/
>
>I played some with the Miro card under Windows, and used the provided
>software for doing editing.  It's pretty sweet...  I took a sample from
>Tokyo Extreme Racing where they cut back and forth between actual street
>racing scenes and scenes from the game...  I recorded that segment, and
>then used the software to remove all the game scenes.  It worked worked
>pretty well, but it really doesn't seem to be rocket science that they're
>working on.
>
>Apparently, Broadcast 2000 and Main Actor, both available for Linux, are
>considered to be fairly high-quality tools for doing editing.  I haven't
>mucked with them yet because I mostly want to just rip, and not do any
>creation of my own films.  I could see using it for that if one had a video
>camera though.  It should be pretty easy to do some pretty good-looking
>videos using them though.

Are you using that BT9xx with linux? I have one of those cards. There is a
driver somewhere on the net, and at one time, I tried to get it installed
and working, but I gave up on it (about two years ago??, and had to do some
fancy hacking to get it installed). Doing a quick search, I see more than
one page about the dc10 drivers, so maybe I will try yet again.

I tried Broadcast, using stuff captured in windows, but it didn't handle
the mjpeg compression. I haven't heard about Main Actor, yet.
The problem with mjpeg is, well, its basically jpg.. so it's lossy. :( and
it's not very standard. In windows anyway, you need the DC-10 in the
computer to access the mjpeg codecs. :/
My other video capture card is mpeg based, the ATI
All-In_WonderwhyIboughtthiscardcausenowIcanwatchtvonmycomputer 128

I have no experience with DivX. That might be the way to go tho, to get all
your video in a few hd's.

Anyway, I thought I might comment on this, since I do music videos and such.

ljp