[lug] Video -playing- with Linux

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 27 15:06:24 MDT 2001

Gary Frerking wrote:

> Thanks for bringing up the topic, it was very interesting.
>
> I'm currently working on a multi-media clip for a trade show
> (essentially a kicked-up video/animation "commercial" in the form of a
> video clip). All the tools I'm using (Adobe Premiere & After Effects;
> and SonicFoundry's ACID) are Windows-based, so I guess I was
> automatically in the mode of thinking I'd use Windows so show it too
> (duh). But hey, my laptop is a dual-boot(!) -- so your message got me
> wondering if presenting the show on Linux might be a better option.
>
> I will be feeding the video (full-screen) to a fairly large (42") plasma
> monitor.  Disk space likely won't be an issue -- but I want to keep the
> quality as high as possible, and *cannot* have dropped frames / jumpy
> playback.
>
> The video software I've got available is pretty flexible -- I can dump
> the clip in most halfway common formats.
>
> Based on your research and experience, can you make any recommendations
> as to what would be the best approach for pulling this off?
>
> -- Gary

I haven't been in this situation, but one thing I know from the audio
groups is that if you share an interrupt with your audio and other
devices, or worse, between video card and other devices, you will have
problems. The number one thing I would check is that any devices your
presentation will depend upon should have their own irq. It is sometimes
possible to share irq without problem, but not sharing gives you a lot
more predictability. Also, turn off cron and anacron daemon during the
presentation. If you are in RH, you can go to /etc/rc.d/init.d/, and use
"./crond stop", or "./anacron stop" to disable them until the next
reboot (or till you give them argument start).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com