[lug] What does this Whois Entry mean

Warren Sanders sanders at MontanaLinux.Org
Fri Jun 29 11:49:26 MDT 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:41:14 -0600
> From: Ferdinand Schmid <fschmid at archenergy.com>
> To: blug <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
> Subject: [lug] What does this Whois Entry mean
>
> HI,
> Looking through my log files I came across an IP address that resolved to:
> rback3.mrdnct.snet.net
>
> mrdnct.snet.net didn't resolve to anything in the whois database so I checked
> for snet.net and found:
>
> Whois Server Version 1.3
>
> Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.
>
>     Domain Name: SNET.NET
>     Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
>     Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
>     Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
>     Name Server: NS1.SNET.NET
>     Name Server: NS2.SNET.NET
>     Updated Date: 13-jun-2001
> <snip>
>
> What does this lack of information mean?  All I was initially curious about was
> if this is a root name server.  Now I am wondering why is there no more info.
>
> Thanks,
> Ferdinand

Registrant:
Southern New England Telecommunications (SNET2-DOM)
   27 Butler Street
   Meriden, CT 06451-4101
   US

   Domain Name: SNET.NET

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Devetzis, Taso N  (TND)  devetzis at SNET.NET
      SNET Information and Entertainment Services
      2nd Floor
      545 Long Wharf Drive
      New Haven, CT 06510
      +1 203 771 8917 (FAX) +1 203 771 2008
   Billing Contact:
      Wooten, Karen  (KW679)  kwooten at SNET.NET
      SNET
      27 Butler Street
      Meriden, CT 06451-4101
      +1 203 630 5800

   Record last updated on 30-Jun-2000.
   Record expires on 07-Jul-2001.
   Record created on 06-Jul-1994.
   Database last updated on 29-Jun-2001 00:10:00 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.SNET.NET                 204.60.0.2
   NS2.SNET.NET                 204.60.0.3

--