[lug] browser not opening url, connect is ok

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Sat Jun 30 14:52:40 MDT 2001

There are two important things that need to be checked: connectivity and
name resolution.

You say you are able to connect, try pinging the ip addresses of a few
hosts that you know are up reliably and that respond to ping (yahoo is an
example, an IP for one of their web servers is 216.32.74.50).  If that
works, then try to ping it via its hostname (www1.dcx.yahoo.com).  If that
doesn't work, try doing a host www1.dcx.yahoo.com and see if that spits any
error messages at you.  Also make sure you have some dns servers listed in
/etc/resolv.conf.

e.g.

nameserver <IPaddress of your ISP's dns server>
nameserver <IPaddress of your ISP's secondary dns server>

If pinging on ip address didn't work correctly, then either the connection
isn't happening properly or your routes aren't getting setup.

So, verify connectivity or come back and tell us that connectivity isn't
working quite like you thought it was.

Then verify dns.

Timeouts can be adjusted via keywords in /etc/resolv.conf.

man resolv.conf is your friend

Hugh

"Rob Mohr"