[lug] fetchmail

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Jul 2 22:02:59 MDT 2001

Thus spoke Tom Tromey
> Michael> I run fetchmail via cron to poll
>
> Why do you do this as opposed to using daemon mode?

Two reasons:

1. I didn't know there was a daemon mode.

2. Because I can.  :-)

Actually, now that I know there is a daemon mode, I'd rather leave it in
cron.  I don't like putting user-level daemons in the init scripts unless
really necessary (I added mSQL there because it was tied to my use of a
local web server, but thats the only one I've added).  Fetchmail is used for
non-root users and it really doesn't need to be running all the time.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  All generalizations are false, including