[lug] fetchmail

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jul 2 23:16:27 MDT 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> I'm going to install fetchmail to download but not delete messages, as a
> general backup mechanism (since NS has hosed my mail twice in the last
> month or so) on two machines. The rpm files I downloaded do not contain
> an rc.d/init.d style script, and I am wondering how many people here
> with RH start their fetchmail with such a script? If you do not want to
> poll for mail, but only download when you specifically want to, do you
> just run a command line for fetchmail to retrieve once? Do you run
> fetchmail as root (which seems to imply fetchmail will change its euid
> to the particular user it downloads as)?
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

Ouch! I just found something I really don't like about fetchmail. If you
save the pass, it puts it in plain text in .fetchmailrc. Root is the
only user that has any hope of hiding the pass, and I still dislike
plain text passes since root can make mistakes or get root kit'd. Is
there a better (more secure) email retrieval system out there?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com