[lug] Severe difficulties in installing RedHat 7.1

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Jul 4 10:17:31 MDT 2001

>> memtest86 is always a good bet during install failures, but most of the
>> time I think bad memory will result in a CRC checksum failure during
>> decompression of the kernel (it uses a lot of memory and requires it to

I can give two recent experiences:

1) Loads kernel and starts setup, but fails decompressing driver for NCR
SCSI Controller during install.

2) Runs through install but operation is flaky. Verifying RPMS reveals lots
of failures.

I think it comes down to WHERE in memory the bad RAM is.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585
http://www.mhsoftware.com