[lug] cd burning

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jul 5 03:06:10 MDT 2001

I am still trying to get a bootable cd going. I have what I think should
be bootable iso images, and download them to a win 2k machine to burn.
It is set as iso9660, and my kernel supports this and a lot more,
compiled in directly (such as msdos, vfat, iso9660, joliet, rock ridge
extensions). The image I created works great in terms of being able to
mount the file via loopback as iso9660...it definitely is readable while
it is a file. I don't know how I did it, but once I could actually read
a cd burned on win 2k, and since that time I haven't been able to do so
much as mount any other burned cd, it claims no media. I'm wondering, of
the people here who have burned iso's on win 2k, using the "Easy CD
Creator 4" program, what settings are you using? I am curious about the
following when burning a linux cd from easy cd creator 4:
Track-At-Once versus DiskAt-Once;
CD Layout properties of:
  Mode 1: CDROM
  Mode 2: CDROMXA

Type ISO9660 should be checked, at least I know that one;
File name format:
  ISO-9660 8.3 char file names;
  Any MS-DOS 8.3 char file names;
  Long file names (30 chars max);

At this point I'd be happy just to establish a burned ISO that is
readable by linux as iso9660 (this of course leads to further
unhappiness, since it means I have to then make it bootable, but heck,
it avoids total boredom).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com