[lug] Umm...is this bad?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jul 5 12:09:05 MDT 2001

Deva Samartha wrote:

> Phew! - it's all relative... one of my boxes started chirping, then I
> cleaned out the dust caught in the CPU heatsink, that took care of it, for now.
>
> Phoenix - been there recently, way too hot for me and if the global warming
> goes on like this, I'll have to move north ;-)

One summer long ago I lived in Phoenix. I had a plastic drafting kit in
my backpack, and went for a bike ride. When I got where I was going, it
had melted inside the backpack.

The real problem I felt though was humidity. The Salt River Project was
there, stuck inside a valley, so humidity was often 90% or so; whereas
places like Tucson were maybe 10% humidity, and Tucson felt nice even at
105 degrees. I wouldn't mind the heat in places that are under 10%
humidity, but bring up humidity, and it can suck really fast...the
problem with computers is they don't have sweat glands (a.k.a.,
evaporative cooling).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com