[lug] Microsoft outlaws open source with .NET

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jul 6 16:47:06 MDT 2001

Terry Branaman wrote:

> If they are really worried about "potentially viral software", what about
> Visual Basic for Applications?
>
> It also raises some interesting questions (though I haven't seen the text of
> the new license) -- is Microsoft trying to say that nobody can access a web
> site if the user is running Linux (or their PDA or phone uses a version of
> Linux)???? Or that you can't load the Mobile Internet Toolkit and Perl on
> the same machine?

Wouldn't it be funny if, due to antitrust problems, the courts forced
them to follow their license, and therefore to remove VBA. But more
seriously, I have to wonder if the whole antitrust thing is really
completely over...doing this with current antitrust problems, combined
with MS having named linux as a competitor, I have to wonder if the
courts will get a chance to see this and consider it before everything
is said and done.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com