[lug] Microsoft outlaws open source with .NET

Deva Samartha blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Sun Jul 8 10:11:15 MDT 2001

Microsoft associates the terms "viral" and "virus" with GPL-ed software.
This is a clever move to discredit open software.

It associates something bad - viruses - with software and the only blob in
the head of people which exists as a "virus with software" is something
causing your computer to crash and is to avoid.

If they succeed to create this association - open software = computer virus
in the head of people it is going to be a big disadvantage.

They are very powerful, have a 30 billion $ warchest, MSNBC and there has
been at least one case where news about Microsoft has been edited and
reported differently on MSNBC.

One can expect more subtle manipulation with strengthening the association
of virus and open software.

Counter measures should be taken to ward this off.

What does a virus? Sucks your energy.

Somewhere I heard that Bill Gates net worth is equivalent to the net worth
of a considerable percentage ( > 10%, < 20%) of the lower part of the US
wealth pyramid.

Talk about a sucker!

(If anyone has more info on that, could you please email me - it must have
been on KGNU, maybe counterspin).

Actually, I suspect for a long time that Microsoft is playing the virus
thing to cover up their own bugs crashing their software, but that's
another topic.

Samartha