[lug] PCMCIA blues

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Jul 10 08:48:21 MDT 2001

HI,
I am in the process of upgrading my laptop (IBM TP240) to kernel 2.4.
Under 2.2 I had my ethernet card, a 3COM 3CXFE575CT working properly.
After my upgrade this very same card doesn't work anymore.  Based on the
PCMCIA docs it should be supported - and it works fine in a
Dell Latitude laptop running an identical version of Linux.

When I insert the modem my syslog states that an unknown card was
inserted:
Jul 10 08:44:04 fps cardmgr[218]: unsupported card in socket 0
Jul 10 08:44:04 fps kernel: cs: cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device
0x7192
Jul 10 08:44:04 fps cardmgr[218]:   no product info available
Jul 10 08:44:04 fps cardmgr[218]:   PCI id: 0x8086, 0x7192

Looking at the config file for pcmcia this particular card should have:
manfid 0x0101 and model 0x5257

Other cards that I didn't expect to work - like my D-Link wireless LAN
card work just fine.  Xfree86 4.0 had a terrible time setting up as
well.  I had to run the configuration tool with acceleration disabled to
get it to run in the first place.

I am trying to install SuSE 7.2 on this laptop but have also tried all
the standard configuration tools, not just the SuSE ones (no YAST 1,2).

Any ideas what might be going on?

Ferdinand
--
Ferdinand Schmid