[lug] tftp service

Kris Young krispy at stanfieldsystems.com
Tue Jul 10 12:39:15 MDT 2001

I am looking for some help on getting tftp service working on my RedHat 7.0
system.
I want to use the tftp service to download/upload router configs.  I have
/tftpboot
set to 777 as well as a file called router1, which is where I want to place
the
router file.

Whenever I try to issue the command "write net" from the router, I receive:

Error code 2: Access violation

I have the default setting for /etc/xinetd.conf:

defaults
{
        instances               = 60
        log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
        log_on_success          = HOST PID
        log_on_failure          = HOST RECORD
}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d

In /etc/xinetd.d/tftp I have the following configuration:

# default: off
\
#       protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless \
#       workstations, download configuration files to network-aware
printers, \
#       and to start the installation process for some operating systems.
service tftp
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = nobody
        log_on_success          += USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = /tftpboot
        disabled                = no
}

After changing "disabled" to no, I restarted xinetd.

I cannot see any daemon for in.tftpd nor any other process with tftp in it.
The xinetd daemon
is running.

Thanks in advance for ANY help you can provide.

Kris Young
Stanfield Systems, Inc.
krispy at stanfieldsystems.com