[lug] tftp service

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jul 10 17:33:28 MDT 2001

Kris Young wrote:

> I am looking for some help on getting tftp service working on my RedHat 7.0
> system.
> I want to use the tftp service to download/upload router configs.  I have
> /tftpboot
> set to 777 as well as a file called router1, which is where I want to place
> the
> router file.
>
> Whenever I try to issue the command "write net" from the router, I receive:
>
> Error code 2: Access violation
>
> I have the default setting for /etc/xinetd.conf:
>
> defaults
> {
>         instances               = 60
>         log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
>         log_on_success          = HOST PID
>         log_on_failure          = HOST RECORD
> }
>
> includedir /etc/xinetd.d
>
> In /etc/xinetd.d/tftp I have the following configuration:
>
> # default: off
> \
> #       protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless \
> #       workstations, download configuration files to network-aware
> printers, \
> #       and to start the installation process for some operating systems.
> service tftp
> {
>         socket_type             = dgram
>         wait                    = yes
>         user                    = nobody
>         log_on_success          += USERID
>         log_on_failure          += USERID
>         server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
>         server_args             = /tftpboot
>         disabled                = no
> }
>
> After changing "disabled" to no, I restarted xinetd.
>
> I cannot see any daemon for in.tftpd nor any other process with tftp in it.
> The xinetd daemon
> is running.

I suspect that you won't see any tftp daemon until xinetd hands off a
request to it. For debugging, you might try "telnet localhost tftp" and
type in some non-sense, while viewing /var/log/messages with tail -f.
Unfortunately, tftp has both udp and tcp versions, and telnet will only
aid debug of tcp. Seeing the "socket_type" as dgram, this probably (I
have not researched tftp) means only UDP has been enabled here, and that
tcp is still not activated...perhaps there is a tcp activation you need.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com