[lug] newbie question - rc.sysinit

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jul 11 17:38:28 MDT 2001

I don't know if that file changes dates, but if someone did root your
machine, they will also be covering their tracks. Some of the common
kits include kernel modules that make the kernel lie to other programs,
and stealth themselves as well. There is probably a good chance your
machine did do the scans, but at the same time, it is also a good
possibility that someone spoofed and used your ip address. You need to
know if the version of anything connected to an open port is the most
current, else you probably were rooted. If you run ipchains, you should
run "ipchains -L -n" to see if there really are rules active (it seems
some init scripts are broken, RH's in particular, but possibly others,
and don't correctly report failed ipchains). Perhaps you could get
someone to scan your machine from the outside and find out if any
suspicious ports are open.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com