[lug] newbie question - rc.sysinit

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Fri Jul 13 01:52:58 MDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:52:25AM -0600, Scott A. Herod wrote:
> I've seen one attack that added start-up code in rc.sysinit ( or
> maybe it was rc.local ).  I keep "clean-room" versions of ls,
> ps, rpm, lsof and netstat on floppies.  Whenever I see anything
> at all unexpected on a machine I use them to look around.

I guess you are aware of the fact that this won't help against
a serious cracker. If your kernel module checks for the name
of executables to be run it doesn't matter where they came from.
If you fear that a box has been cracked, i'm affraid nothing but
a reboot from a clean medium is secure (unless the cracker patched
the bios ;-)

 Ralf