[lug] newbie question - rc.sysinit

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jul 13 14:19:59 MDT 2001

rm at mamma.varadinet.de wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:52:25AM -0600, Scott A. Herod wrote:
> > I've seen one attack that added start-up code in rc.sysinit ( or
> > maybe it was rc.local ).  I keep "clean-room" versions of ls,
> > ps, rpm, lsof and netstat on floppies.  Whenever I see anything
> > at all unexpected on a machine I use them to look around.
>
> I guess you are aware of the fact that this won't help against
> a serious cracker. If your kernel module checks for the name
> of executables to be run it doesn't matter where they came from.
> If you fear that a box has been cracked, i'm affraid nothing but
> a reboot from a clean medium is secure (unless the cracker patched
> the bios ;-)

I forgot one other thing...if you have a rescue disk (e.g., Tom's root
boot), and you run your examination from the other kernel, then the
clean room versions will work. But that also requires a lot of
examination if  you want to go beyond the typical alterations. This is
where it might be nice to have tripwire on the rescue, and the expected
results in a safe place.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com