[lug] finger

Holshouser, David dholshou at ball.com
Fri Jul 13 14:47:47 MDT 2001

finger is software as well as a daemon.

if you:
localhost$ finger me at localhost
I believe you are using the software to connect to the daemon at localhost.
if this daemon has been deactivated, then, "Connection refused"

however, if you:
localhost$ finger me
then the software will do all of the work locally (ie. check the /etc/passwd
and ~me/.plan files).

> > Originally, I "just" wanted to confirm a username on a remote
> > machine.  How do I do that, please?

as for testing usernames, this is one of the reasons finger gets turned off.
while(1)
	foo=randname()
	if(finger foo at victimhost != ERROR)
		rootkit(foo, victimhost)