[lug] boot images, ram as root

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Jul 15 02:18:45 MDT 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> I've finally managed to create a boot cd that partially succeeds. It
> specifies /dev/ram0 for the root mount, and ends up unable to find a
> valid device for root filesystem mount. There are a couple of different
> forms of ramdisk and ramfs in kernel config, and the one I do *not* have
> enabled is CONFIG_RAMFS. I *do* have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM, which is used
> for initial ramdisk support (and I think it does load initrd, but I
> can't guarantee it...the kernel is a copy of my main system kernel and
> initrd, which works fine). Can anyone verify if CONFIG_RAMFS is needed
> to boot an independent boot CD that mounts root on /dev/ram0? There are
> other reasons why mount might fail, and since it takes all afternoon to
> do a download and burn, I'd like to see if anyone can verify
> requirements for an independent boot CD system kernel (if anyone even
> has guesses or hints, it would be helpful).
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

This may still be incorrect, but I managed to hexedit the right bytes in
the kernel image, and point it at /dev/ram0. It appears to be correct,
but then I find the kernel does not find init (see the rdev thread). It
is looking like /dev/ram0 does not need CONFIG_RAMFS (failure to find
init seems to mean that it did at least manage to use /dev/ram0 as
root).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com