[lug] Photo gallery software

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Sun Jul 15 14:26:24 MDT 2001

Ron> I'm looking for a software package that will help me to generate
Ron> "photo gallery" web pages with thumbnails and captions, given
Ron> directories full of images.  I would appreciate any
Ron> recommendations people could provide.  Thanks.

neither is what i'd call particularly polished, but a friend wrote
'pcdindex', which creates a minimal thumbnail/overview index and
excellent individual pages for each picture:

   http://www.mengwong.com/software/perl/pcdindex/

for an example of the output from this script, take a look at:

   http://babe.pobox.com/~mengwong/pcd/yapc1999/
   http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/pics/yapc-1999/

i wrote a fairly simple perl script to do this, using "convert" from
the ImageMagick package.  it's very minimalist, but at the time,
that's all i needed.  the script itself is at:

   http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/perl/quick-photo-index

and a few galleries generated with it are:

   http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/images/fireworks-2001-07-04/
   http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/images/tstorm-2001-07-07/

no captions, just a lot of thumbnails.  a friend took my script and
modified it to create multiple sizes and a slightly more friendly
gallery.  he'd most likely be up for sharing it, if anyone is
interested.  sample output:

   http://www.monkeyhands.com/~spamgod/images/scans/july4th/

as someone else pointed out, a quick-and-dirty hack could do this in a
few lines of perl.  my script is long due to my preference for lots of
whitespace and vertical extension in my coding style, as well as more
practical concerns like not overwriting existing files...

t.