[lug] rpm database corruption

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jul 18 13:20:52 MDT 2001

"Michael J. Hammel" wrote:

> Thus spoke ljp
> > If that doesn't help, there's always the --force --nodeps arguments.
>
> Hmmm.  Something else is amiss here.  This is what I get from that:
>
> mjhammel(tty0)$ rpm -i --force --nodeps IBMJava2-JRE-1.3-9.0.i386.rpm
> memory alloc (3497133019 bytes) returned NULL.
>
> My rpm system (binary or databases) are mucked up somehow.  I get this
> memory alloc problem no matter how I try to run rpm.  And I get a zero
> length Depends.idx in /var/lib/rpm afterwards.
>
> Any other ideas?

Have you tried booting to single user mode and running fsck? After, see
if anything is in the /lost+found/ directory, as partial clue. Once you
know the hard drive is ok, try running under strace, and look at the
last 25 or so lines of strace:
strace -oTheLog.txt rpm -i --force --nodeps
IBMJava2-JRE-1.3-9.0.i386.rpm

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com