[lug] possible intrusion

Deva Samartha blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Thu Jul 19 13:21:04 MDT 2001

Looks like they are not getting in - unless they get in, deliver a
gift and then go on - this I have not checked yet since I am not
able to identify the shell/buffercode yet. The package would have been
overwritten 30 x or so, by now.

The incoming data is 4 .. 10 k in packets and outgoing it's
anywhere from 50 .. 100 k response of the server. They connect
once and are never seen again. All happens within seconds.

Maybe they are picking something up?

I checked into one source and there I could overwrite the
IP number of the router with a wide open web interface, look at
connection times etc.
(I have not actually checked, if a different IP would have
been accepted, but the web interface was there and accessible ;-)
So, with this background - one can assume the system/LAN was compromised.
I was unable to contact the party.

Apache just gives out an error message:
"Client sent malformed Host header"
  and give the 300 byte long NNNN code message in the log

I will email to security focus as suggested, because if nobody else
sees this kind of traffic, I could be compromised :-(

Thank you,

Samartha