[lug] It slows down

Tim Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Jul 20 12:37:45 MDT 2001

On Friday 20 July 2001 12:07 pm, David wrote:
> Today I managed to capture some data on an intermittently occurring
> problem.  The problem is something that I have always realised I could
> be imagining; but today I measured convincing evidence that sometimes
> something strange happens to my machine.  I am reporting it in case
> anyone else has seen something similar, or knows about it, etc.
> Unfortunately, I do not have nearly enough data to deduce any
> conclusion with confidence; and intentionally doing experiments has
> been perceived as too much of a time imposition, at least up until
> now.

[ Big list of symptoms snipped ]

I would doubt that this is the case, but how secure is your machine?  If your
machine had been cracked, and the black hat were to fire up a computationlly
intensive process that was hidden from top and ps, that could do it.

Seems unlikely to me, though.  It is probably something more benign.  But it
is something to consider.

Tim