[lug] local network

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jul 21 13:26:46 MDT 2001

David wrote:

> I need help, please.
>
> I want to transfer data (files) from one machine to another.  The
> machines are connected by network cards and a cable.  How do I give
> these machines IP addresses, what are the apporoved codes, what is the
> best (commonly available) software to use, etc?  Alternatively, where
> do I look for this information?  Thanks in advance.
>
> dajo

scp is the best way, someone mentioned that. It does, however, require
sshd be running. If you are in a secure environment, where passwords
going across the net can't be snooped, try ftp. "man ftp". To find the
ip, have root do "ifconfig" (you need to know which network device is
used, probably eth0). You are interested in the "inet addr". Beware that
it is a bad idea to send passwords over the open Internet. If it is your
own private net, there isn't a lot to worry about.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com