[lug] local network

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jul 21 17:03:01 MDT 2001

David wrote:

>    It means the hardware is, for all practical purposes, not even plugged
>    into the motherboard. First, you need to know that your kernel has the
>    driver for the particular card. What is the card (anything about it you
>    know)? Is this an ISA slot card, or PCI? If ISA, is it plug-n-play, or
>    jumper set? Do you have your bios set to "o/s is not plug-n-play aware"?
>    FYI, "NOT plug-n-play aware" is the good setting.
>
> You led me there in one way and another, thank you.  The "o/s is not
> plug-n-play aware"? was a big clue that opened up things.  I have got
> both of the ethernet daemons going and I now can ping between
> machines.  I still am not able to use rcp or rsh, these hang, and ftp
> reports a disallowed connection.  Any ideas?  Can you give me a sample
> command?  I may be reading the man pages wrongly.

I don't do this often enough to lead directly to any answers, but the
next thing is probably to question routes. If you type (as root)
"route", it'll show routing info. If you have an incorrect netmask
(column Genmask in route output) for the eth0, this would cause a
problem. In some cases if a default route also has an incorrect netmask,
it might cause failure while ppp0 is up. Here is a typical route output:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
your.isp.com    *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
10.0.0.0        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo
default         your.isp.com    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
ppp0

The "U" in flags means the route is up. For my ppp, it is also a host
"H". What is the output of your "route" command? Especially, what is the
netmask for each of these items?

As additional information, use traceroute from one machine to the next,
using the ethernet ip's. How is it trying to get from one machine to the
other?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com