[lug] C++, MySQL, PostgreSql, RH 7.1

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Jul 22 17:28:21 MDT 2001

I find there are some funky things going on with regard to exception in
the standard RH 7.1 g++ setup (2.96), whereby __THROW macros are being
added directly inside of what should be a purely C file, stdlib.h (for
anything related to exceptions, it should probably only be in cstdlib).
This in turn has created some problems dealing with MySQL++, the C++ api
for MySQL. Indications are that one would have to install a new compiler
in order to add MySQL++ apps, which completely sucks. The 2.95 has had
problems building kernels in some cases, so I do not want to replace my
kgcc, and it seems unwise to junk the 2.96 compiler (I have a sneaking
suspicion I'd regret it). So maybe it requires having three compilers
(which totally sucks).

So I'm thinking about abandoning MySQL in favor of PostgreSql, if I can
find a C++ api for it (MySQL++ is a really nice api). Only so far I
haven't found any references to it (it surprises me that the PostgreSql
sites I went to do not even mention api's to any extent). In addition,
PostgreSql supports a few things that MySQL does not (related to
transactions coming to mind). Has anyone here ever heard of a C++ api
for PostgreSql? Does anyone have any suggestions?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com