[lug] Good 2D video card

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Jul 23 12:59:14 MDT 2001

The Matrox card seems to be a good choice.  After going through a
massive replacement cycle with Diamond cards here at our office I came
back to Matrox.  Out of around 30 cards over the last 4 years I only had
one failure and absolutely no driver... problems.  This includes many
flavors of Linux and Windows.

I am running on an Asus A7M266 board here (1.4GHz Athlon) and haven't
had problems so far.  But I don't use ECC RAM.  The performance of this
machine for CFD (computational fluid dynamics) and Ray Tracing has
amazed all of the users to date.  This thing seems significantly faster
than some of the really expensive Unix workstations.  SuSE recognized
all of my hardware (including 2 SCSI cards, tape changers, ...) without
problems.  So I would assume that RedHat would also run perfectly well
on this system.

Ferdinand

Gary Hodges wrote:

> I'm going to be piecing together a PC for work in the coming weeks, and
> I'm trying to decide on a video card for 2D work.  The monitor I'm
> buying is capable of 2048x1536 at 75Hz, though I'll likely run it at the
> advertised "optimum" resolution of 1600x1200 @85Hz.  I've spent hours
> reading newsgroup postings via google, and it looks like the Matrox G400
> w/16 MB RAM is what I want.  I'll more than likely install the newest
> Red Hat dist., and having the card work "out-of-the-box" is very
> important to me.  The ATI Radeon cards seem like a good choice also, but
> I've been seeing newsgroup postings about incompatibility problems with
> AMD 761 chipsets.  BTW, I "think" I've settled on the GigaByte GA-7DX MB
> w/AMD 1.4 266FSB.  Another MB I was looking at is the Asus A7M266, but
> there seem to be issues with that board and ECC RAM.
>
> If anyone has any first hand experience, or advice in general about any
> of the above, I would love to hear it.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

Ferdinand Schmid