[lug] Good 2D video card

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 23 13:14:28 MDT 2001

Lance Jones wrote:

> > From: "Gary Hodges" <Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov>
> > advertised "optimum" resolution of 1600x1200 @85Hz.  I've spent hours
> > reading newsgroup postings via google, and it looks like the Matrox G400
> > w/16 MB RAM is what I want.  I'll more than likely install the newest
>
> How about the G450 16M DDR?  mwave.com has it for $68.  A quick search of the
> places I commonly do business with didn't turn up any available G400s.

As best as I can tell, the G450 is not supported with the most current XFree86.
Drivers are available from Matrox though.  I've also read that the G400 is better
at 2D than the G450.  They are harder to find, but I've managed to locate a couple
vendors with them in stock.

> > important to me.  The ATI Radeon cards seem like a good choice also, but
> > I've been seeing newsgroup postings about incompatibility problems with
> > AMD 761 chipsets.  BTW, I "think" I've settled on the GigaByte GA-7DX MB
>
> A co-worker recently built a system based on an MSI board with the AMD761 and
> Radeon video using Redhat7.  According to him (i.e. I'm just passing this
> along) the problems with the AMD761 and AGP aren't particular to the Radeon but
> in fact happen with ALL AGP boards.  In other words... kernels as of 2.2.16 and
> 2.4.6 don't have support for AGP on the AMD761 chipset.

This is news I haven't run across.  The only mention I've seen of this is in
regards to Radeon cards and the 761 chipset.  I'll have to research more.

Cheers,
Gary