[lug] Linux laptop projector woes

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Mon Jul 23 16:32:42 MDT 2001

Hi,

Recently I flew to Gaithersburg, MD for a meeting (at a gubment
institution called "NIST") and attempted to give a presentation on a
laptop running Linux.

This was an embarrassing fiasco, as I could not get the projector to
display what was on my laptop screen.  The serial cable could be
plugged into any number of Windows machines and their displays were
promptly put on the screen.  Even mine, when running the other OS.
I had had no problems with the projector I tried where I work, before
I left.  There doesn't seem to be a HOWTO about this.

My laptop has a shortcut "Fn" key and a monitor symbol under
F10---hitting these together really screwed things up: I had to
restart X.

Does someone know of some documentation about how to make this work?

Glenn Murray
www.mines.edu/~glenn/public_html/Welcome.html