[lug] MS Proxy 2.0 hates linux

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 24 11:08:26 MDT 2001

Greg Horne wrote:

> I'm trying to get my Redhat 7 machine out from behind an MS proxy.  It works
> like this:
>
> DSL-->MS proxy 2.0-->Patch pannel-->Office cpu's
>
>     I can ping all of the internal addresses (eg. 192.1.1.??), and I can
> ping our DSL IP address.  When I run X and configure Netscape to use a proxy
> on port 80 it and try to access a webpage it just sits there maxing out the
> connection (sending junk data?).  I tried using
> socks5-clients-1.0r11.i386.RPM but was not able to get it working.  I also
> tried using DeleGate (http://wall.etl.go.jp/delegate/).

I suspect that your internal IP addresses are on private IP space.  The address you gave is actually valid on the open Internet, but it looks a lot like an attempt to use the RFC private range 192.168.x.x.  So, if we presume that these addresses were randomly chosen (rather than assigned to you by an ISP), you will need a NAT device (or perhaps many application proxies) to handle address translation.  Some DSL routers can do NAT.  Otherwise, your Windoze box can do it using SyGate or a similar software package.  Linux has ipchains/iptables.  Running NAT (as opposed to using an HTTP proxy) will probably reduce your ability to log and audit web traffic; it also does away with special configuration of client software.

Folks running NAT on a PC platform generally put their DSL equipment in bridging mode and use two NICS on the PC, one internally addressed and the other with the ISP-assigned IP address.

>     I want to be able to ftp, telnet, and surf with all aplications.  Is
> there an all-in-one solution?  If so, how do I get that solution to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Horne

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |