[lug] Pointer goes nuts

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 24 15:53:52 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, John Hernandez wrote:
>
> > Hello gurus and enthusiasts.  I'm having a strange problem where my
> > mouse pointer will suddenly and unexpectedly jump to the bottom left
> > of the screen and many button clicks are sent (even though I'm not
> > pressing the button) causing my windows and toolbar to freak out
> > uncontrollably.  This behavior will calm down after a second or two,
> > but it repeats if I try to move the mouse again.  The only solution I
> > have found is to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace out of X and restart it.  This
> > fixes it, but it will happen again with a frequency of perhaps twice a
> > day.  Anyone seen similar?
>
> Well, in my opinion you guys having problems with X have just found the
> toughest part of Linux to configure.
>
> I've seen mice do this if you are using the wrong device settings, or if
> there are two pieces of software trying to read the mouse at the same
> time.  I'm assuming that the rest of the display looks OK?  If not that
> could be an issue as well.

Yes, everything looks great, as it has for quite a while.

> I don't suppose that you have gpm running do you?  I've had problems with
> that before.  If you have gpm running you might try killing that and see
> if the problem goes away.

No, gpm is not running.

> More than likely though you have an incorrect setting in your mouse
> configuration.  I usually tinker with things using XF86Setup until the
> mouse behaves itself.  You've got the correct device file since you are
> talking to the mouse, often that is the tougher problem.

The odd thing is that XF86Config-4 hasn't changed in a long while.  I can't exactly put my finger on when the problem started (maybe 10 days ago).  The only change made around that time (perhaps 1 month ago) was switching to a M$ Natural Keyboard Pro.  I'll probably go with Doug's suggestion and try the PS2 protocol (rather than IMPS2) for a while.  I MIGHT be able to live without the beloved wheel.

> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |