[lug] Pointer goes nuts

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 24 16:20:00 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, John Hernandez wrote:
>
> > The odd thing is that XF86Config-4 hasn't changed in a long while.  I
> > can't exactly put my finger on when the problem started (maybe 10 days
> > ago).  The only change made around that time (perhaps 1 month ago) was
> > switching to a M$ Natural Keyboard Pro.  I'll probably go with Doug's
> > suggestion and try the PS2 protocol (rather than IMPS2) for a while.
>
> Hmmm ... that is pretty odd.  I don't suppose that the keyboard could have
> anything to do with this?  Different keymapping, bad connector, etc. -
> grasping at straws here.
>
> > I MIGHT be able to live without the beloved wheel.
>
> You actually have a use for the wheel?  I always think it looks
> interesting, but have never really seen anyone use one.  Interesting -
> what does it do?

It controls vertical scroll in a window (akin to up/down keyboard arrows or clicking on the scroll bar), although not as consistently as it does in Windoze.  With Linux, it seems to take some massaging (adding stuff to .Xdefaults) to make it work for different apps.  Things like this make Linux (and X-windows) a little frustrating for people accustomed to a plug-n-play world.

> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |