[lug] Good 2D video card

David dajo at frii.com
Tue Jul 24 16:36:42 MDT 2001

   David wrote:

   > I have just bought a machine with the Asus A7M266 running a 1.4GHz Athlon
   > with 500Mb DDR memory.  It is back at the shop right now since
   > it appears there is some hardware problem causing it to hang.
   > However, when it was runnning, under KRUD/RH7.1, it was nearly twelve
   > times faster than my PII 200mHz machine - I was hoping it would be
   > five times faster =8-)

   Do you use an AGP video card with this motherboard?  That may be the problem
   judging from various newsgroup posts I've read.

   Gary

No, I have an nVidia TNT2 card.

The hanging problem includes non-hanging characteristics such as the
date (not time) display in the BIOS incrementing each second, date
displays such as 26/26/2626 and 17/85/1704, the machine pausing for a
few seconds then flipping back to the correct date, the cpu speed
changing to 1050MHz, then back to 1400MHz, etc., etc.  There is a
question of whether the cpu is running too hot - 133 degrees F; and
then he broke the cpu cooling fan clamp, so everything is on hold
while the new parts come in.  A whole bunch of fun.

Thanks for the info anyway.

dajo