[lug] HP Web JetAdmin & Debian & FPM packages...

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Tue Jul 24 19:51:31 MDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Samartha Deva wrote:

> I tried something like that with SuSE. I got it to install eventually but
> it crashed or was not functional. The screens would come up but one could
> not enter data (or something to that extent). Then I talked to HP support
> and they told me: ony RedHat is supported, other distribution won't work.

	:( That is what I was afraid of. Now I know why there was nothing
on the net about how to install it on Debian. :(

> Apparently they are doing something in their software which only RedHat can
> provide. It sure blew my mind. Kernel version was the same.

	Yea, blows my mind too. The different distributions are not all
that different. Why cripple the software so badly as to run on only one
Linux distribution? Beyond me!

> I installed JetAdmin on a W98 laptop and installed/configured the printer
> from there.

	I looked all over HP's website (as slow and unorganized as it is),
and could not find the Win98 version of JetAdmin, just their download
manager. Would you please point me in the right direction to find
it? Thanks.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |