[lug] Good 2D video card

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 25 08:32:42 MDT 2001

A follow-up for those interested folks...

I emailed pre-sales Accelerated-X tech support to see if their product
supports AGP cards with AMD761 chipset motherboards.  One of their tech
reps, Paul, was very helpful.  Turns out they had the exact motherboard I
am considering (GigaByte GA-7DX) as well as several of the video cards I
had mentioned in my email - Matrox G450, G400 and an ATI Radeon card.  Here
is his reply/results:

----------------
Gary,
I just tested the GigaByte motherboard with the G450, G400 and the Radeon
VE.

I used our 6.0.1 Accelerated X 2D server and it worked great.  I was using
an
AMD 1.2 gig processor and 128 mb of memory.  I used a 2.2.x kernel and
slackware 7.0.  The only thing I noticed was that our XSVC 2.0.x  versions
will cause a hard lock.  I then used our XSVC -1.5-9 and it worked fine.
We use XSVC with
our 3 D server, so this might not even matter...
We are currently working on an Alpha 3D Xserver and all those cards will be

included
in the support list.. that Alpha is available for download and testing via
our website.
I hope this in info helps you,
If you have any more questions, please
get back to me..
thanks\
Paul

So, it looks like I have an out with Accelerated-X if I can't get the
"official" Matrox drivers to work.  Actually, with the help I received from
xig, I should probably just go ahead and buy Accelerated-X!

Cheers,
Gary