[lug] Windows *SHUTTER* Shares

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Thu Jul 26 05:25:33 MDT 2001

I am resending my outgoing mail of the last few days, as it appears that
it has not been getting through.  Apologies for any dupes.

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Chip Atkinson said:

> My mandrake 8.0 box connects easily to my W2K box using smbmount or
> mount -t smbfs.  Here is an entry from /etc/fstab for mounting my mp3
> directory on the W2K box:
>
> //catkinson/napster /mnt/mp3s smbfs
> username=catkinson,uid=242,gid=100,workgroup=CSBU,noauto 0 0

Interesting.  My attempts to smbmount a w2k share only succeeded after
allowing full access to the "everyone" (user or group - don't remember
which) on two different w2k boxes I tried.  Is that your experience as
well?  I was passing username and password, but no workgroup as you show
above.

I was unable to get smbclient to work at all.  I attributed that to the
change in the security / login mechanism in w2k from w9x.  AFAIK, w9x
doesn't use a uid in granting share access, but only a pw, and w2k prompts
for both.  I reverted back to w9x after a corruption problem with w2k, and
after an image backup to tape (via dd) failed to restore - boot loader
generated an error indicating that the w2k kernel file could not be found;
but will probably make another stab at it before long.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net