[lug] Pointer goes nuts

Tim Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Jul 26 12:28:08 MDT 2001

Well hmm,

Mine just works without any fuss.  The only thing that comes to
mind is your XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file.  The relevant
section from mine looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

Those last 2 lines are important.  The ImPS/2 protocal
recognizes the mouse wheel, and the ZAxisMapping maps the up and
down of the wheel to buttons 4 and 5.  I don't think the scroll
wheel will work with out those.

The above snippet is from XFree86 V4, if you have V3, it would
look like this:

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "IMPS/2"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   Resolution      100
   Buttons         5
   ZAxisMapping    4 5
EndSection

I don't think there is anything that needs to be set up in GTK,
GNOME, Qt, or KDE.  If there is, It was set up by the Debian
pacakging system, and I didn't know it.

Hope that helps,

Tim

On Thursday 26 July 2001 12:14 pm, Glenn Murray wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> I'm running KDE 2.1 and wheel support is not on by default,
> nor is it mentioned in the help.  I can use my wheel as a
> middle button, but not for scrolling.  How do you turn it on?
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn Murray
> www.mines.edu/~glenn/public_html/Welcome.html
>
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Tim Klein wrote:
> > In Qt 2.x or something like that, support for scroll wheel
> > was added.  GTK has it, too.  Thus both KDE and GNOME apps
> > have native support for the scroll wheel.  This was one of
> > the major reasons I switched back to KDE 2 recently

- --