[lug] Ethernet Card Problems

Jenni wah at wah.nu
Thu Jul 26 12:34:02 MDT 2001

Hey all. :)

I'm having a terrible time getting an Intel EtherExpress 10/100 card
running on a Redhat 6.2 box.

Here's a little history.  This is going to be a firewall.  It's a dell
dimension desktop, don't know the specs off the top of my head but if
needed I'll send them along too.  I installed the cards before installing
RedHat.  The cards were detected during install, but the install locked up
at the end at the "Performing post-install configuration" screen.

I took the cards out and reinstalled RedHat.  Everything went fine.  I
shut down and reinstalled one card and rebooted.  Kudzu found the card and
tried to autoconfigure it.  Same problem.  Whole machine locked up.

I booted again, skipped kudzu, and manually configured the card.  When I
tried to bring up the network the machine locked up yet again.
/var/log/messages only shows an attempt to load the eepro100 module, no
other errors.