[lug] Another local network question

David dajo at frii.com
Thu Jul 26 14:14:57 MDT 2001

   > I am doing all of this stuff as root.  I have a .rhosts file in each
   > root directory naming the other machine and root.  I have /etc/hosts
   > files with appropriate information.
   this is probably your problem if you are getting Connection Refused,
   check out your sshd.conf files and see if the line that lets root login
   is set to yes.
It is.
                   have you tried to connect as a normal user (i.e., ssh
   iamme at host.domain.com).
I have.

   At some point during the RH 7.1 install, it asks if you want to install a
   firewall. If you did, it will block these things.

   Try running /usr/sbin/lokkit and setting the firewall to none.
This is interesting.  I ran lokkit: I had the firewall set to high
security; but lokkit would not change that!!  I tried selecting no
firewall, and I tried re-configuring the firewall; both were accepted
(different occasions).  But when I re-entered lokkit the configuration
had reverted to the original.

It sounds as though you think that I am on the right track to
investigate the firewall.  How else can I disable it?

   When I first installed Redhat 7.0 on my system a while back ftp and telnet
   did not work, but I could ping my computer.  What install did you use?
   Workstation, Server, Custom?  For some odd reason if you choose a worstation
   install with RH7 ftp and telnet will not directly after install.  To fix it
   I just did a custom install making sure I added everything the server
   install used, plus extras like X.
I did a custom install.  ftp and telnet are working, they receive
"Connection refused" messages.