[lug] glsetup Linux worm?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jul 26 18:21:31 MDT 2001

John Karns wrote:

> I am resending my outgoing mail of the last few days, as it appears that
> it has not been getting through.  Apologies for any dupes.
>
> In a msg thread I just received from a non-technical mail list, someone
> said:
>
> By the way, UNIX systems are not immune to this kind of hackery;  the
> recent foray of such programs included a particularly virulent one
> (glsetup) that infected thousands of LINUX systems.
>
> A quick search on the net doesn't yield any info on glsetup other than a
> commercial product to detect and setup 3D graphics card drivers for
> OpenGL.  I find it a litlle bit strange that I hadn't read of it in the 5
> or 6 years that I've been involved with Linux.  Anybody care to comment?

> John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net

Linux isn't immune from hackery (or maybe crackery), but it tends to be
more limiting through its own internal permissions system (which is
useless if the cracker gets root though). I haven't heard of the
glsetup, but it does sound like a legitimate OpenGL tool...which is
convenient for attackers...but I also have to wonder if maybe this is
one of the "hoax" scares. Some of the databases on hoax virus are as big
as the ones on real virus.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com